Stachys / Lamb’s Ear
A tough silver a mat-forming evergreen. The popular variety ‘Helene von Stein’ doesn’t bloom but its foliage holds up better into late summer and fall.
It’s native to dry spots in Southwest Asia.
- Grown mainly for foliage, its emerging blooms are often removed altogether.
- Will spread easily to fill in large area.
- Full sun or light shade.
- Drought-tolerant; I water new transplants only.
- For better-looking foliage, remove the flowers before they open.
- Also remove any rotted or bad-looking foliage.
- Do not prune for winter; wait til early spring to cut off winter-damaged foliage.
- If desired, you can divide them in spring, and remove the old woody growth while you’re at it.
- When watering, try not to wet the leaves.