Articles/Videos on this Site
- Growing Vegetables? What Works and What Doesn’t by Contributor Renee Shepherd – and she outta know.
- Growing Edibles in Containers was written by Susan Harris with help from contributor Renee Shepherd.
- Pint-Sized Planters Yield Bumper Crops by Kathy LaLiberte of Gardeners Supply Company. The top gardener at my favorite hippie Vermont gardener company has inspired me, and I’m trying these planters on my sunny deck this season — reviews coming soon!
- Patti Moreno’s Garden. In video and text, Garden Girl Patti Moreno inspires us with her “urban sustainable garden” in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston.
- Vegetables that MUST be Organic by Stuart Robinson
- Mission: Dining off the grid is about a family that’s awfully close to total food self-sufficiency.
Great Kitchen Garden and Food Info on Line
- KitchenGardeners.org is a very cool blog.
- Eat-It.com is a good site about edible landscaping
- The 100 Mile Diet makes the case for local.
- So does the blog Eat Local Challenge,
- Epicurean.com is a favorite of my foodie friends.
- The Slow Cook is a great food and edible-gardening blog by fellow DC Urban Gardener Ed Bruske. His food blogroll is comprehensive.
- Ed Bruske’s multi-part video about How to Grow Vegetables.
- Chow is a big, fun site about food and drink.
- Vegetable Gardens is a great British site on the subject.
- Mas Du Diable is a cool blog (in English) about growing edibles in Southern France.
- Can I Eat It is another fun site about growing food — in the UK.
- Review of Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini by Elizabeth Schneider.
- Renee Shepherd’s Please Eat the Flowers.
For Community Gardeners and Wannabees
Community Garden is the site of the American Community Gardening Association, and a good one.
Books about Kitchen Gardening
- The New Organic Grower by Eliot Coleman and others
- Four-Season Harvest by Coleman and Damrosch
- Common Ground: Four Seasons on an Organic Farm by Chaskey
- Edible Garden by White
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food LIfe by Barbara Kingsolver (one of my favorite writers of fiction or nonfiction)
- The Edible Rainbow Garden by Creasy
- The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping by Creasy
- Blithe Tomato by Madison is all about farmer’s markets
- The $64 Tomato by Alexander
- The Kitchen Garden by Thompson
- The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible by Smith
- Fields of Plenty by Ableman
- Heirloom Vegetable Gardening by William Weaver
- Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini by Elizabeth Schneider
- Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch