About Susan Harris
In a nutshell, Susan’s a garden writer/blogger/coach and activist for gardening and greening. On this website you’ll find her articles, plus contributions by 22 top horticulturists and garden writers from around the country. Susan gardens in Greenbelt, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C., in USDA Zone 7A and the Mid-Atlantic Humidity Belt.
- Susan writes and produces the rowdy, award-winning blog GardenRant with her co-conspirators, grinning in the photo right.
- Locally, Susan writes for Behnkes Nurseries.
- Her articles have appeared in Fine Gardening, Organic Gardening, Landscape Architecture Magazine, and the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens periodical, among others.
- When not writing about gardening, she edits and contributes to the community blog and website Greenbelt Live.
- In September of 2009 Susan launched the national Lawn Reform Coalition, dedicated to promoting natural lawn care, regionally appropriate lawn species, and design alternatives to lawn.
- She speaks to local journalism classes, community groups and the Garden Writers Association about writing online, primarily blogging. She also talks about urban and sustainable gardening before such groups as DC’s EcoWomen, the DC Historical Society and Exploritas visitors to Washington.
- Susan is active on the Advisory Board of Montgomery Victory Gardens, a nonprofit encouraging and teaching the growing of edibles in Montgomery County, Maryland.