About Susan Harris
Susan’s a garden writer and activist for gardening and greening. On this website you’ll find her articles, plus contributions by 22 top horticulturists and garden writers from around the country. Susan gardens in Greenbelt, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C., in USDA Zone 7A and the Mid-Atlantic Humidity Belt.
- Susan writes and produces the rowdy, award-winning blog GardenRant with her co-conspirators, grinning in the photo right.
- Her articles have appeared in Fine Gardening, Organic Gardening, Landscape Architecture Magazine, and the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens periodical, among others.
- When not writing about gardening, she edits and contributes to the community blog and website Greenbelt Live.
- In March of 2014 Susan launched DC Gardens.com, an all-volunteer campaign to promote DC’s public gardens and gardening itself to visitors, both local and from out of town. In addition to the website, it includes a Youtube Channel and Pinterest account.
- In September of 2009 Susan launched the national Lawn Reform Coalition, dedicated to promoting natural lawn care, regionally appropriate lawn species, and design alternatives to lawn.
- She speaks to local journalism classes, community groups and the Garden Writers Association about writing online, primarily blogging. She also talks about urban and sustainable gardening before such groups as DC’s EcoWomen, the DC Historical Society and Road Scholar visitors to Washington.